- This event has passed.
Local Foods College 2015
January 13, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm| FREE
Local Foods College is a series of eight free webinar sessions meeting at 6 pm on Tuesdays from Jan 13-Mar 3, 2015. We will be open for dinner and networking at 5 pm. Post-webinar discussion and networking. Arrive early to settle in before the start of the webinar. Register via Facebook or call us.
Schedule of Sessions
· January 13, 2015 – Natural Soil Fertility – Mark Boen, Owner of Bluebird Gardens near Fergus Falls
This session will look at the importance of achieving and maintaining good soil biology, the importance of cover crops and some natural soil amendments used in sustainable production systems.
· January 20, 2015 – Vegetable Production Tips & Tricks – Courtney Tchida, Student Coordinator, Agronomy & Plant Genetics Dept, CFANS
Courtney will cover Arugula to Zucchini and most of the vegetables that you can grow in Minnesota, with tools and tips discovered from growing them all over the last ten seasons at Cornecopia Student Organic Farm
· January 27, 2015 – Small Farm Business Planning – Ryan Pesch, Extension Educator, Community Economics who owns Lida Farm near Pelican Rapids
Participants will learn about basic financial analysis including how to measure profits in their operation as well as simple measures growers can make to guide management decisions. We will touch on cash flow analysis, marketing costs, and recordkeeping.
· February 3, 2015 – Native Pollinator/Bee Keeping – Karl Foord, Extension Educator in Horticulture, Farminton Regional Center; Emily Cambell of the American Honey Princess and UMC Students
This session covers pollination including native pollinators and honey bees. Karl Foord will share strategies for protecting pollinators and providing habitat. Emily campbell, American Honey Princess will rcord a presentation on honey and honey bees that will be available online.
· February 10, 2015 – Deep Winter Greenhouses and Season Extension – Carol Ford of Milan MN
A new movement in passive solar greenhouse design is sweeping Minnesota. Learn about passive solar greenhouse design and winter production techniques from one of the movement’s pioneers.
· February 17, 2015 – Growing in small spaces – Alex Liebman of Stone’s Throw Urban Farm (Minneapolis); Jason Bergstrand from Lake Region Takes Root (Fergus Falls)
You can maximize your production and get more out of your small yard/farm/garden plot. Learn about techniques like interplanting, succession planting, and maximizing season extension from experienced farmers.
· February 24, 2015 – Food Hubs: Community Connectors in Northwest and Central Minnesota – Jessica Saucedo of Rail River Food Hub; Melissa Mattson of Fresh Connect Food Hub; Arlene Jones of SPROUT MN Food Hub
Regional food hubs are springing up across the country and Greater Minnesota is no exception. Food hub leaders from Central and Northwest Minnesota will share the story of their start up, lessons learned, community supported agriculture (CSA) models, building relationships with institutions and growers, and how a food hub can serve as a community connector.
· March 3, 2015 – Farm to Bottle – Eric Sannerud from Mighty Axe Hops; Ron Leasman from Leatherwood Vinegary; Mike Swanson and Cheri Reese from Far North Spirits
Hear the story of three innovative farm to bottle businesses from around Minnesota, and how they are adding value to locally grown grain, herbs and fruit through the process of fermentation.